During 2010 the NALF Board of Directors developed the Foundation’s Strategic Plan. Within that plan, membership development was identified as a core strategy, and within that core strategy the establishment of an Emerging Leaders Academy (ELA) was identified as a top priority.
The Emerging Leaders Academy was established to develop new and second-generation Limousin producers seeking to increase their leadership skills and involvement in the Limousin breed. The Academy’s first class began in the fall of 2010 and will conclude this August.
With input from the ELA’s present members, NALF board and staff, a more defined program setting objectives and procedures was developed. The NALF board recently approved the enhanced program that will begin this fall.
Highlights of the revised Academy program:
- Members will serve a one-year term. Following completion of their term members will be encouraged to continue their involvement through an ELA Alumni group.
- A one-year term includes two formal meetings in the fall and spring, and at least two informal meetings during National Western Stock Show and All-American Futurity.
- Other meeting possibilities include BIF, NCBA Convention, Range Beef Symposium, etc.
- During their one-year term members will develop their leadership skills and knowledge by serving on the Limousin breed’s committees.
- Academy members will be invited to participant in the spring meeting of the NALF board.
- NALF board members will serve as informal mentors to each of the Academy members.
- ELA members will be asked to set personal goals, focusing on their involvement in or promotion of the Limousin breed.
- The fall meeting of the ELA will focus on providing industry insight as well as discussions on where the Limousin breed fits within the beef industry. The spring meeting will focus on developing leadership and promotion skills.
- Conference calls and webinars will be utilized to enhance member’s experience and knowledge.
- The alumni group will be encouraged to continue their involvement with the academy and its various activities including formal and informal gatherings, serving on NALF board committees and fundraising.
Participation in the Emerging Leaders Academy is open to all NALF members who have a desire and willingness to become more involved in the future of the Limousin breed. Applications for the Academy are available below.
Applications for the 2012-2013 Academy are due in the NALF office by Tuesday, May 1, 2012. Due to limited class size it is important to submit applications as early as possible. Please contact the NALF office for additional information.