Beef & Cheese Tortilla Towers
Published April 3, 2020
All the kids are home, but you still have to get work done and find time to make 3 meals a day. This nutritious, easy lunch or dinner is sure to please everyone and you have time to get your work done, while giving your kids a great meal!
- 1 pound Ground Beef (95% lean)
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick-and-chunky salsa
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 7 small whole wheat tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped ripe mango
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cantaloupe
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings. Stir in salsa, beans and cumin. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through and most of liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place 2 tortillas in single layer on pan. Spoon generous 1/2 cup beef mixture on each tortilla; sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Repeat layering of tortillas, beef mixture and cheese twice. Sprinkle remaining cheese over tops of tortilla towers. Cut 8 small stars from remaining tortilla with cookie cutter; arrange on towers. Bake in 350°F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, combine salsa ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut each tortilla tower into 4 wedges. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Serve with fruit salsa.
Recipe and images are courtesy of BeefItsWhatsForDinner.