Published June 19, 2020
With many juniors, families and staff heading to West Monroe, La., this recipe seemed only fitting. My mouth is already watering for some Louisiana cooking! Not going to the junior show or can’t wait? Try this Beef Jambalaya at home.
- 1 pound beef Blade Chuck Roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 12 ounces smoked beef sausage, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups cooked white rice
Garnish: Chopped green onions, chopped parsley leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Season beef Blade Chuck Roast pieces and beef sausage with Cajun seasoning. Brown beef pieces; set aside. Brown beef sausage; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to same stock pot or Dutch oven. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic; cook 7 to 10 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire, salt, file powder, red pepper, black pepper and bay leaf. Add beef and sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is heated through. Stir in hot sauce. Garnish with green onions and parsley, as desired.
Recipe and images are courtesy of BeefItsWhatsForDinner.